Mellody Farm Nature Preserve
Through Friday, May 21, 2021
Monday - Friday 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Children ages 7-10 | maximum 6 people
Groups of 3 or more children can choose a Guided Program that can be adjusted to your schedule. Complete your registration online, fill out all checkout questions, and we will contact you to set up a program date and time. Program times are offered on a first come, first serve basis.
You are welcome to drop your children with us or stay for the program. Covid guidelines apply. Please wear masks!
Interested in a topic you don’t see? Please contact us to discuss developing a custom guided program.
The adventure continues with a new series of programs to connect children with the natural world and celebrate the changing season.
Discover local habitats, plants and animals through investigations and exploration.
Due to increased demand for spring programs, we can only take groups of 3 or more children beginning the week of April 5th.
We encourage you to reach out to friends, family and classmates to gather a small group and set up a program time.
Individual children will be placed in a time slot with another group as available.
Are you looking for a way to get outdoors with your children and experience the wonders of nature in spring? Lake Forest Open Lands offers two programs that help connect children with our spring explorations. Both programs are offered either guided by a field educator or self-guided.
Nature Explorers engages children ages 7-10 in discovery of winter habitat through hands-on activities adapted for older children.
The following topics are offered in both guided and self-guided programs and are offered at your convenience, Monday through Saturday as follows:
- Forest Friends (May 3-7): Explore the woodland and search for signs of animals, birds and insects that live in the savanna. Investigate the adaptations of raccoons, deer, foxes and other forest animals to discover how these woodland creatures survive in their habitat.
- Pond Exploration (May 10-14): Dip into the waters of the pond to find crayfish, dragonfly nymphs, snails and more as we explore the aquatic world of the pond. Discover the life cycles of common pond invertebrates and conduct water quality tests to determine the health of the pond ecosystem.
- Amazing Insects (May 17-21): Hop and buzz through the prairie on an insect safari as we catch and identify insects, spiders and butterflies. Investigate the adaptations of bees, grasshoppers and other prairie insects to discover how they are adapted to survive in the prairie.
- Maximum 6 people.
- $25 per child for a 1.5-hour program.
- You are welcome to drop your children with us or stay for the program. Covid guidelines apply, please wear masks!
- Please register and fill out all checkout questions. We will get back to you to schedule your specific time.