- Click here for a calendar view of our events, education programs and volunteer work days. Click on the event for specific details, location and directions.
- Bagpipes & Bonfire: Sunday, September 27, 2015, 4:00-7:00 p.m., Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve
- Swinging Bridge 8K Trail Run: NEW DATE! Sunday, October 4, 2015, 8:00 a.m.-noon, Starting line behind Deerpath Middle School, Derwen Mawr and Skokie River Nature Preserves
- Native Tree Sale: Saturday, October 17, 2015, 8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Mellody Farm Nature Preserve
- Story Time With Santa: Sunday, December 6, 2015, noon-2:00 p.m., Mellody Farm Nature Preserve
Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve
Grab your binoculars and bird book and join Restoration Technician and avid birder, Luke Buckardt for an early morning birdwalk highlighting the breeding birds of Lake Forest. Coffee and light refreshments to follow.
Shakespeare on the Prairie: Citadel Theatre's "As You Like It"
Join us for Shakespeare's "As You Like It", a pastoral comedy that follows its heroine Rosalind as she flees persecution in her uncle's court to find safety and, eventually love in the Forest of Arden. Lawn seating available; blankets, lawn chairs, picnics and refreshments are encouraged. Space is limited.
Sunday, September 27, 2015
4:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Join us for our 28th annual Bagpipes & Bonfire on Sunday, September 27, 2015. Bring the whole family for an evening of games, fun, Scottish entertainment, picnic feast, wine, beer & spirits at the beautiful Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve. The evening culminates with the landing of kilted sky divers, a dramatic bagpipes procession and the lighting of the bonfire. For questions about the event please email
or call 847.234.3880 x17.
Please join us at one of the following sponsorship levels for Bagpipes & Bonfire and enjoy some of the benefits below.
- Four tickets to the event;
- Patron listing in the Bagpipes & Bonfire invitation;
- One valet parking pass on site with special entrance and patron bar;
- Family photo taken at the event.
Order of the Tartan benefits:
- All of the above plus;
- Order of the Tartan listing in the Bagpipes & Bonfire invitation;
- Two additional tickets to the event for a total of 6 tickets;
- Special Order of the Tartan Hospitality Tent, including special Tartan buffet and full bar.
- Listing as a Grand Tartan Sponsor on our invitation;
- Special reserved tented seating area with an exclusive Scotch Bar;
- Eight tickets to the event; Additional tickets are available at a discount;
- 2 valet parking passes with one parking spot directly behind the tents!
- Special entrance bar with a buffet dinner for you and your guests;
- Special gift from Lake Forest Open Lands;
- Professional family photo taken at the event.
Swinging Bridge 8K Trail Run
8:00 a.m. - noon
Enjoy a scenic run sponsored by the Lake Forest-Lake Bluff Running Club in partnership with Lake Forest Open Lands. This will be a green race managed to minimize its environmental impact. Runners and walkers of all ages are welcome!
Registration information will be available in August.
Native Tree Sale
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Lake Forest Open Lands Association and the City of Lake Forest are partnering to offer a Native Tree Sale. 10-12 native tree varieties will be offered. All trees will be sold at discounted prices and a portion of the proceeds will go to plant trees and re-green our community’s open spaces.
noon - 2:00 p.m.
Enjoy an afternoon of holiday cheer at this family fun event! Ride a horse-drawn wagon through the preserve with jolly old St. Nick, listen to a seasonal story and craft a winter wildlife ornament. indulge in delicious treats and join us for this wonderful winter tradition!