- Click here for a calendar view of our events, education programs and volunteer work days. Click on the event for specific details, location and directions.
Swinging Bridge 8K Trail Race
Saturday, September 21
The Swinging Bridge 8K Trail Race is being hosted by the Lake Forest-Lake Bluff Running Club
in partnership with Lake Forest Open Lands Association. Enjoy a scenic run through Derwen Mawr and Skokie River Nature Preserves in Lake Forest. This will be a green race managed to minimize its environmental impact. Runners and walkers of all ages are welcome!
A portion of all proceeds will benefit Lake Forest Open Lands' Center for Conservation Leadership.
Packets will be available on September 19 and 20 from 3:00-5:30 p.m. at
Kiddle's Sporting Goods, 258 Market Square, Lake Forest, and on September 21
from 7:00-7:45 a.m. behind Deerpath Middle school. In person registration
will also be available at those times. Online registration will end at midnight September 19, 2014.
$35/runner ($2.50 CARA discount, $3.10 Online registration fee)
Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve
Sunday, September 28
4:00 - 7:00 p.m.
Join us for our 27th annual Bagpipes & Bonfire on Sunday, September 28, 2014. Bring the whole family for an afternoon of games, food, fun and Scottish entertainment at the beautiful Middlefork Farm Nature Preserve. The evening culminates with the landing of kilted sky divers, a dramatic bagpipes procession and the lighting of the bonfire. For questions about the event please email
or call 847.234.3880 x17.
Please join us at one of the following sponsorship levels for Bagpipes & Bonfire and enjoy some of the benefits below. (Please note remote parking for general admission will be at LFHS West Campus this year due to construction at the hospital.)
Thank you to our Media Sponsors:
$750 Patron benefits: (Click here to become a Patron)
- Four tickets to the event;
- Patron listing in the Bagpipes & Bonfire invitation;
- One valet parking pass on site with special entrance and patron bar;
- Family photo taken at the event.
$1,650 Order of the Tartan benefits: (Click here to become an Order of the Tartan)
- All of the above plus;
- Order of the Tartan listing in the Bagpipes & Bonfire invitation;
- Two additional tickets to the event for a total of 6 tickets;
- Special Order of the Tartan Hospitality Tent, including special Tartan buffet and full bar.
$7,500 Grand Tartan: (SOLD OUT)
- Email for waitlist or sponsorship opportunities.
General Admission: Available for purchase on 8/15/14
- Members: $100/adult, $35/child (ages 4-20), 3 and under are free
- Non-Members: $175/adult, $50/child (ages 4-20), 3 and under are free (includes a family membership to Lake Forest Open Lands)
Enjoy a preview of our 2014 Bagpipes & Bonfire event:
Saturday, October 18
8:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
Lake Forest Open Lands Association and the City of Lake Forest are partnering to offer a Native Tree Sale. 10-12 native tree varieties will be offered. All trees will be sold at discounted prices and a portion of the proceeds will go to plant trees and re-green our community’s open spaces.
Saturday, December 6
1:00 - 3:00 p.m.
Enjoy an afternoon of holiday cheer at this fun family event! Ride a horse-drawn wagon through the preserve with jolly old St. Nick. Listen to a seasonal story and craft a winter wildlife ornament. Indulge in delicious treats and join us for this wonderful winter tradition.
Online pre-registration will be available in October and is available through Friday, December 5th:
$35 per member family
$100 per non-member family (includes a year and a half family membership expiring 4/30/2016)
Day of event registration on December 6th is $45.